Sunday, April 11, 2010
Dangerous time for Wikileaks staff?
by Larry Geller
If the US plans a move against Wikileaks before it can release its next video, now may be a critical time.
Wikileaks, the whistle-blower website, is reportedly preparing to release secret video of a notorious US air strike said to have killed scores of Afghan civilians.
The video apparently shows previously classified footage from US warplanes called in to bomb Taliban fighters during a fire fight in Farah province last year.
The Afghan government said at the time that the strikes by F-18 and B1 planes near Granai killed 147 civilians. An independent Afghan inquiry later put the toll at 86.
Video footage of the strike could prove highly damaging to the Nato-led coalition if it showed pilots failing to safeguard civilian lives. [London Telegraph, Wikileaks 'to release video of US strike on Afghan civilians', 4/11/2010]
No doubt any forthcoming video is in multiple hands and could be posted even if some action is taken to restrain some Wikileaks staff.
Should there be a pre-emptive strike against Wikileaks, it would look pretty bad in any case.
But we live in strange times.
Post a Comment
Requiring those Captcha codes at least temporarily, in the hopes that it quells the flood of comment spam I've been receiving.