Monday, January 09, 2012
Donation drive - Disappeared News
Disappeared News has been around since 2005. It's still here, but my trusty HP computer gave up blogging on the last day of 2011, just a few hours short of the New Year. It was a spectacular end, as these things go, with fireworks on the screen indicating that the graphic circuits had given up at last.
I swore I would never buy another HP computer, given our experiences. But last Monday Disappeared News went shopping, and we have a brand new -- HP computer.
I've never asked for donations, but this time I hope that readers will assist. Between the computer, some necessary new software, and hosting services, it is a bit of a strain on the budget right now.
If you are not fond of PayPal, or if it doesn't work, please email donate [at] disappearednews.com for other possibilities.
What have we accomplished with that old computer?
- Chased a bunch of rats out of Chinatown with a video that went viral
- Chased a bunch of rats out of the Legislature (the "embedded lobbyists" from HMSA, HECO and other large corporations working in legislative offices as "interns")
- Saved the Molokai Clubhouse from closing, by force of blogging
- Exposed how the Lingle Administration rigged the gas cap against commuters
- Revealed the not-so-hidden desires of some state legislators to raise unlimited campaign contributions and helped shame that effort to an end with videos
- Exposed fund raisers during session and other questionable ethics
- Revealed a non-working lobbyist reporting system that still needs fixing
- Brought readers detailed coverage of human trafficking cases in Hawaii
- Revealed the duct taping of children in our schools and other abuses (where else would you read about kids being fed dog biscuits?)
- Alerted you to unrefrigerated Mainland milk
- Revealed the real news behind the Tantalus shooting
- Kept on the tail of the unprofitable Superferry
- Pushed for citizen involvement in urban planning (alas, still elusive)
- Worked for pedestrian safety
The computer supports a special needs parents email list and a couple of websites besides Disappeared News.
Please consider a modest donation.
And thank you!
P.S. Donations intended to support Henry Curtis' fine work should be made through his own website, Life of the Land Hawaii.
Links to this post: